Lets start with “Why “, Building your own chicken coop has quite a few advantages, to list a few:
- You will have your own fresh source of healthy, organic eggs and meat.
- Its very affordable, you don’t need to spend hundreds or even thousands of $$$ on pre-build coops.
- One of the best way to recycle your daily food scraps.
- Droppings and organic bedding material can be used as very good manure in your backyard for organic farming.
- Most of the pre-built chicken coops have to be assembled anyways so it does not make sense to pay the inflated price of their material.
- It is a fun activity and good learning experience to be performed with your spouse or kids. Be careful though and take all precautions before letting them go wild with sharp equipment.
Now that you understand that building a chicken house has quite a few ups and that is why you were here searching for one anyways, the downside is that building a chicken house is not as easy as hammering some wood and wire mesh together. You need to take into account various factors like lighting, ventilation, temperature, materials used, waste management, insulation, perches, security and protection from bugs and animals, etc
If you need help with all this, here is a good guide, you can check it out, they are giving some bonuses as well. You will get hundreds of chicken coop plans in it:
Best Chicken Coop Plans
What is chicken Coop?
As you can’t keep you chicken in your lawn, they will destroy it or at any part of your home. You have to build a proper house for them so that they can live in that particular area and other part of your home look beautiful.
“Chicken coop is a place to keep your chicken in short a “chicken house” where your chickens can live happily. It can be big or small depending on the number of chickens.”
Types of chicken coops:
1. Depending on the place:
Stand-alone chicken coop or hen house: If you have enough enclosed area of land where your chickens can live free, then a stand-alone house is a best choice. You can check out other chicken coop plans in "Building a chicken coop" guide.
- Chicken coop with built in run: If you are concerned about your chickens wandering off, or getting troubled by predators, and are short on space, you should prefer a house with a built in run.
- Chicken tractor (a coop on wheels): If you don’t have any fix place to keep your chicken hutch or you don’t want to spoil your gorgeous lawn then you can choose a chicken tractor which will allow you to move your chicken house.
2. According to the size:
Trictle’s Chicken Coop
Funky Chicken Coop
- Medium Coop: These chicken houses are used to keep more than 10 chickens. It is beneficial for small home based business. You will get the best medium sized chicken coop plans in coop construction guide. Few Examples:
Horse Trailer to Chicken Coop
Super Duper Nifty Keen Coop
Large Chicken Coop: These houses are used to run a big chicken farm. Chicken coop plans for large chicken coops are also available here online. Few Examples:
Chicken Coop Building
Solar Powered Chicken Coop
After knowing all this I was ready to keep chickens. The only thing I needed was a well-designed chicken house. So I asked such questions to myself before start building:
1. How many chickens I want to keep?
2. At which place I want to build house?
3. In which environment I want to keep chickens and what is environment of my area?
4. What is my Budget?
5. How much time I can give to build my chicken hutch?
6. What predators live in your area?
After asking these questions I came to know that I want to keep 5- 10 chickens in the starting which means a small chicken hutch is fine. As I want to keep these in my lawn at one fix place then Stand Alone chicken house is a best option. I live in an area where we don’t face the problem of too much cold and heat as well. So, first thing that came into my mind was chicken coop plans to house 5 to10 chickens.
So I need not to take tension of weather. Now the question arises how I can give a safe environment to my chickens. As predators like dogs, bugs etc. can harm my chickens. So, I’ll build or purchase a wired chicken house. And my budget was not too much and can give not too much time. Finally I decided to build or purchase a small chicken hutch. I visited several shops of chicken hutch but I did not find any chicken house according to my needs and liking. Then I decided to build it.
In the starting I build it by just an idea in my mind but I failed then I realized I need a clear guide for chicken coop plans. I searched on the internet and download it for free as free guides are available on various sites. Initially, I made my chicken house by using a free guide that contains many chicken coop plans but trust me free guide is not that much helpful as paid guide. I face many problems with that free guide. I did everything by my own but when purchased my guide it helped me a lot.
After purchasing I took more care of my chickens without any problem of feeding them, cleaning the hutch, keeping them in a happy environment with protection from various animals like dog. You will not believe after this production of eggs was more and I expand my small chicken house to a chicken farm.
Now I am earning good from this business and having a healthy diet. I would suggest you to purchase a guide which should contain a good amount of chicken coop plans so that you can keep chickens easily. To purchase a guide you have to invest some money in the starting but believe me it is worth to invest.
Benefits of buying a chicken coop guide:
- If you are a beginner you can build an attractive chicken house by selecting from hundreds of chicken coop plans. You just need simple tools which you can easily get at your home.
- It includes step-by-step chicken coop plans with clear images and dimensions that even a child could follow.
- It saves your money as you need not to purchase hutch.
- Helps you to buy the correct breed of chickens according to the climate, space and requirement.
- Helps you to take care of baby chickens.
- Helps you to design the house according to the environment so that the can lay eggs properly.
- Helps you to protect your chickens from predators like foxes, cats, hawks etc.
- You can easily clean it and can get eggs without going inside the house.
- It helps you to select the material of the house so that you can build it quickly and easily.
- You can easily build a chicken tractor that helps you in cleaning and providing fertilizer.
- Helps you to feed them properly according to their requirement.
Teach you about what to do when chicken get sick and the 2 most common health problems and how to cure them. "Building a chicken coop" manual comes with great chicken coop plans with all the above mentioned bonuses.
I will always advise you to purchase a good guide of chicken coop plans which can help you. You can get to know about the guide by reading the reviews of the people on the site and by reading their given information either it is helpful or not.